Water damage can be insidious. An unnoticed leak may have subtle effects that go undetected until you have a hole in your ceiling or problems with your foundation. Menold Construction and Restoration has highly trained professionals who will respond quickly when your business or home needs water damage restoration services in Champaign-Urbana, IL. However, there are steps you can take to limit the toll water damage can take on your property.
- Monitor your water bill. A spike in your bill could mean you have an undetected water leak. Pooled water can rot your walls from the inside and create the conditions where mold will grow.
- Watch for mold. Molds grow inside and outside the home. But they thrive in damp, dark environments, such as basements and bathrooms. A home or business that has suffered water damage needs to be alert for mold’s presence. It can have long-term health effects on the people who live and work there.
- Check your roof and windows after a major storm. Don’t wait until there is a hole in your ceiling or a puddle on your floor to see if all is well. Check for missing shingles and cracked windows to prevent moisture from getting inside your home.
- Test your sump pump. Check it every few months and clean it annually before spring rains come.
- Dry wet furnishings quickly. Make sure to ventilate areas exposed to heavy moisture so mold and mildew don’t have time to find a home in your home. Also dry carpets or rugs that have been soaked.
- Maintain proper drainage on your property. Clean out your gutters and keep downspouts free of debris and directing water five to ten feet from your house.
- Make sure your pipes don’t freeze in the winter. Insulate pipes in attics and basements and those exposed to the exterior. Also, disconnect your garden hose when temperatures drop.
Menold Construction and Restoration is located in Morton, Normal, and Champaign, Illinois, and has been servicing Central Illinois for more than 35 years.