The Fourth of July is right around the corner, and that means barbecues, parades, and fireworks. According to the National Fire Protection Association, fireworks cause an average of over 18,000 fires and approximately $43 million in property damage each Independence Day. Follow these tips to stay safe this holiday:
1. Always abide by federal and state firework laws.
2. Soak used fireworks in water for at least a few hours before throwing them away.
3. Never ignite fireworks in a container, as the container itself could catch fire.
4. Only light one firework at a time.
5. Only light fireworks in an open space, away from people, buildings, and flammable materials.
6. Have water and/or a fire extinguisher on hand in case a fire starts.
7. Use an extended lighting device that provides the greatest distance between you and the wick.
8. Stay at least 30 feet away from smaller, fountain-style fireworks and at least 100 yards away from all aerial fireworks.
9. Store your fireworks in a cool, dry place and use them as soon as possible after purchase.
10. Always light fireworks on flat surfaces to avoid them from falling over and shooting off horizontally.
If you or someone you know has experienced a fire in your home or business, we'd be happy to provide you with our quick and quality fire damage restoration services. We're ready 24/7 to fix the damage and get your life back to normal. Call us today at 877-636-6537. Have a fun and safe holiday!