Welcome to Central Illinois in January. Why did we decide to live here again? For the next week, here's what we can expect:
With temperatures like these, homeowners in these areas should take the necessary steps to prepare. Many different forms of property damage can result from severe winter weather, but there are many ways to prevent home disasters!
Winter Weather Damage Prevention Checklist
It's wise to prepare for the winter weather-induced property damages such as roof collapses, frozen pipes, power outages, etc. Consider the following steps to prevent these common winter weather issues:
1. Water Damage from Frozen Pipes
- Turn your faucet on to a slow drip to keep a steady flow through your pipes.
- Examine your home for any exposed piping and make sure all vulnerable pipes are wrapped with insulation.
- When leaving the house, keep your thermostat no lower than 55 degrees.
- Open your kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warm air to circulate the plumbing.
- Use a snow rake to remove snow off your roof or hire a professional roof contractor.
- Inspect all roof drains and remove any debris that could prevent the flow of melting snow.
- Examine your downspouts for clogging and, if needed, clear all snow or ice from the outlets.
- Make sure to maintain your roof and repair any damages quickly and as necessary.
3. Power Outages
- Check flashlight and radio batteries and make sure you have extra.
- Ensure that you have sufficient emergency heating equipment and fuel such as a wood burning stove or fireplace.
- Shut off your main water valves.
- Make sure your home is properly insulated by caulking and weather-stripping doors and windows to keep cold air out.
- Set your refrigerator and freezer temperatures to the coldest degree to preserve perishable food.
Should winter weather result in damage to your property, help is available. Menold's restoration specialists are available 24/7 to restore your home from any winter storm damages that occur in your home. Call us at 877-636-6537 or visit us online for more information.