July 15th happens to be National Pet Fire Safety Day! You may be asking, What?! There's a Pet Fire Safety Day?! We were shocked too, but we LOVE it. What a great way to inform ourselves on the safety of our pets. Many of us at Menold own dogs, cats, and other pets, and we love each one. It is super important to learn about certain dangers that could harm them. Today, we learn about fire.
For the sake of your pet's safety, and your peace of mind, here are some fire safety precautions to consider:
- Place stray wires out of reach, so they are not mistaken for a play toy.
- Take knobs off your stove/oven so they are not accidentally turned on.
- Remove glass water and food bowls from wooden decks.
- Keep candles on solid surfaces, far out of reach of your furry friends and their wagging tails.
- When out by a campfire, or other open flame, be sure that the pet is tied up out of reach of the heat.
You may also want to consider fire alert window clings that would inform firefighters of how many pets you have and how to easily locate them! It's also important to know your pet's favorite places to hide. If you have more than one pet and several family members, you may want to assign certain family members to be responsible for a specific pet in the case of an emergency. All of these tips can better prepare you to ensure your pet is safe and out of harm's way.
Our pets are dependent on us in so many ways, so let's take the thoughtful and necessary steps to keep everyone safe and healthy! From all of us at Menold, Happy National Pet Fire Safety Day!