Whether we are running the dishwasher, taking a shower, doing a load of laundry, or a hundred other daily needs, we all take running water for granted. It's a big part of our daily lives, and also one that can destroy our lives in a matter of minutes. At Menold, we have seen and dealt with many homes with water damage, and it's an emergency we want our community to be well-equipped to prevent and handle if necessary.
Acting fast is the name of the game when it comes to water damage. Allowing water to sit in unwanted locations or continue to spread in the home can lead to extensive damage in other areas - called secondary damage. This, in turn, leads to a higher cost to repair your home. It can even lead to issues with your homeowner's insurance if you do not document and take care of water damage as quickly as possible. We have also seen another huge problem of water damage - mold. When water is allowed to sit for any period of time, the risk of mold developing in your home increases greatly.
It is crucial to address water issues as quickly as possible, so we put together the steps to take if you realize you have a water issue on your hands:
- Stop the water intrusion. Shut off valves if you have a burst pipe or block any leaks you can find that might be causing the issue. Call a plumber to assess the situation.
- Call Menold. We are here to help. If there is bad weather, we are likely receiving a high intake of phone calls, so calling as soon as you find damage is the best way for a prompt response to your emergency. We can help clean up the mess, restore the damage, and rebuild the area if necessary.
- Call your insurance company. It's so important to clue them in on what's happening as soon as possible. Let them know that Menold is your restoration contractor of choice. Remember, who you hire for the restoration is completely up to you! The insurance company can make suggestions, but ultimately you choose.
- As soon as it's safe, clean up what you can. Don't compromise the safety of yourself or your family, but if it is possible, begin to clean up. It's important to dry up any sitting water and move your furniture and belongings to avoid further damage of your property. If this isn't possible, it's okay to wait for our team to arrive on the scene.
- Take pictures. When we arrive, we take a 3D rendering of your space, eliminating the need to take hundreds of photos of your loss. You are always welcome to take pictures of your own, however, for insurance or personal purposes!
Our aim is to have you and your home on the road to restoration as quickly and seamlessly as possible! Every year about 1 in 50 homeowners file a water damage claim. We respond to calls in our community quite often, especially after storms. Knowing how to react and respond in case of a water emergency is so important to being on the road to recovery in no time at all.