Red Cross' Home Fire Campaign
Happy National Fire Prevention Week! A house fire can be one of the most traumatizing events a person can experience, and we have many stories to tell. We believe at Menold that any steps to build awareness and lessons to learn to prevent fires, is super important.
We are huge advocates of the Red Cross and the continuous effort they give to aid disaster and improve the health and wellness of our country! Since this week is dedicated to fire prevention, we would like to introduce you to the Red Cross' Home Fire Campaign - a movement to lower the deaths and injuries caused by home fires by 25%.
Here are some statistics about home fires:
- Approximately 7 people die every day from a home fire, mostly children and elderly.
- Approximately 36 people suffer injuries as a result of home fires everyday.
- Over $7 billion in property damage occur each year from fires.
Doesn't it hit a little close to home? To lower these numbers by 25% means that many less lives horrifically impacted by house fires!
What can we do as a community to assist this campaign and play our part in lowering the number of fires each year? Here are some awesome prevention tips to start:
- Install smoke alarms in your home and teach your children what they sound like.
- Establish a fire escape plan and meeting point outside of your house, and thoroughly communicate this with those in your home.
- Educate your children. Make sure they know how to call 9-1-1 and how to stop, drop, and roll, for example.
- Visit the Red Cross website for more information and fire prevention training.
Our desire at Menold is to see individuals and families living in safe and aware homes. This doesn't just begin and end with our team! It is a community effort - every voice truly makes an impact. Let's save lives and prevent fires together!